C-SPAN visits Carson

<p>BCHS students listen to a presentation on the C-Span bus.&nbsp;</p>

BCHS students listen to a presentation on the C-Span bus. 

On Sept. 27, Benjamin Carson High School was visited by the nonprofit TV network C-SPAN.

The network is known for its dedication on government and political affairs.

Ben Carson history teacher Regina Weiss interacted with a few C-SPAN employees at a summer event and learned about C-SPAN’s plans of coming to Detroit in October.

She got their contact information and reached out to them to guarantee visit the school.

Weiss says that she wanted them to come because she “saw the different resources that the C-SPAN bus had about the election and since we are getting closer to the 2020 election, and particularly since our older students may be able to vote in the election, I thought it would be very helpful to go on the bus and interact with them and learn about the election and the educational resources that C-SPAN offers.” 

Representatives of C-SPAN gave students information about the channel’s importance and discussed an upcoming scholarship opportunity for local youth. 

The C-SPAN bus is to “inform students on how they can incorporate the resources in class to handle real life,” C-SPAN representative Irette Lucero said. 

“The technology on the bus was cool, wasn’t expecting that on a bus,” junior Lanya Cooper said.

They informed students on how the network operates and its involvement in political affairs and also provided an interactive set up.