Passing the Torch: Learn to be comfortable doing things on your own

<p></p>

Being selected the 2018 class valedictorian is a tremendous honor. It is the first glass ceiling of many that I hope to break. Getting to this point was no easy feat but accomplished because of dedication and perseverance. To achieve this goal, students must work diligently from the moment they step into high school. The most important factor is to develop an exceptional support system that will uplift and support throughout high school epoch.

Senior year means crossing the threshold from childhood to young adult. There are ample responsibilities, more work, and harder decisions to make. Parents aren’t going to be able to make decisions for us forever. Senior year is that time when a student must figure out his or her priorities, find colleges, and put in time and effort to succeed.

An important part of this process is realizing one can’t do what everyone is doing nor be what everyone else is. Individuality is vital to setting yourself apart. Being part of the crowd is fine for a while, but then you’ll learn that what’s important to you isn’t what’s important to others. 

Learning to be comfortable doing things on your own is also critical because there will be a point in life when you might not be able to depend on anyone else. Senior year is the perfect time to learn how to be independent personally and academically. The most imperative things to a successful high school career are to do the work, respect the teachers, study, study, study, and try not to get overwhelmed by the process. That’s when the support system is a must. 

One may choose to make it through senior year skating on the floors of mediocrity, but once high school is over and the next step arises, he or she can’t just skate by because there are millions of people working 1 times as hard to be better than the next person. Competition is everywhere and students must be ready to fight for what they want.