Traveling down the road of the auto advancements

The evolution of the automobile has transformed how Americans view the traditional car. Henry Ford brought cars to the masses with the utilitarian Model 5, and then in 1935 he successfully crafted and produced the Model A1, which was designed for comfort, space, and affordability. After the success of the Model A1, the general concept of a car has evolved to be the advanced, technological machines we think of today.

“Cars are more advanced simply because people are more advanced,” said Chevrolet communications representative Tara Kuhnen at this year’s North American International Auto Show (NAIAS).

At the Detroit show, a plethora of global automakers unveiled their take on a smart vehicle. Toyota displayed a newer model of their fuel cell vehicle that runs on hydrogen through the hydrolysis process which is electricity generated from renewable energy resources.

“Cars are way more than what they used to be,” said Toyota robotics specialist Ron Williams. “Cars are just as smart as humans now and their abilities are endless.”

Several cars on display had updated interiors with technological features such as Bluetooth for hands-free calling and texting, in-car Wi-Fi, touch-screen navigation, and more.

“It’s an industry trend to be more connected on the road,” said GM representative Sean Greatrex. “That’s when you started to see 3G and 4G in the cars.”

Electric cars, invented in the 1800s, became extremely popular in the 1910s, but eventually lost out to gasoline-powered cars. Today’s electric vehicles (EVs) and hybrids, while more expensive than gasoline-powered cars, have become increasingly popular. One highlight of the NAIAS was Chevrolet’s 2018 Bolt EV. The Bolt gets 238 miles on a full charge and can last three to four days without having to be recharged.

“Just this morning, the all-electric Bolt EV won the North American car of the year,” said Kuhnen, Jan. 9 at the North American International Auto Show.

As time goes on, cars and other vehicles will continue to evolve with new technology to meet the needs of the consumers.