Joe Faryean: From Liberia to the youngest graduate of the class of 2016

Across the nation, it isn't uncommon for students to graduate early. Students graduate a year or more earlier than expected because they’ve earned all their credits. At King, the youngest graduate of the class of 2016 is Joe Faryean at the ripe age of 15, who entered King in 2012 at just 12 years old.

Before Faryean came to King, he migrated to the United States from Africa. Faryean is a native of Liberia, a country on the western coast of Africa. Faryean started school before the age of five in Liberia and attended school for a year until a war broke out in 2003.

“In Liberia I went to kindergarten,” said Faryean. “Then there was a war that broke out, so I had to go to Ghana to be a refugee.”

In Ghana, Faryean went to primary school, where he skipped the fourth grade, until 2008. By that time, after five years, the war had ended and Faryean moved back to Liberia with his family.

“I went to school there [Liberia] until the seventh grade,” said Faryean. “Then I came here for a better education.”

Faryean attended Burton International Academy for his eighth-grade year. When it came time to apply to high schools, Faryean applied to three: Cass Tech, Renaissance, and King. Faryean chose to turn down acceptance to Cass and Renaissance to attend King.

“At the time, I had just learned about Dr. King and I was watching a movie about him,” said Faryean. “I thought that because he was such a powerful man, a school named after him was going to be good.”

Faryean has enjoyed his time at King, which in his opinion, is a “great high school.” Faryean has had the support of his teachers and classmates during his time at King.

“Every time I have problems, I go to them [teachers] and ask them for help specifically,” said Faryean.

When asked about his fellow students, Faryean had good things to say.

“My calculus class is the best class you could ask for. That class isn’t about competition. It's about helping each other.”

Along with having a reliable support system at school, Faryean receives assistance at home from his brother.

“We learn from each other,” Faryean said. “If I have homework I don’t know how to do, I ask my brother for help and if he has homework he doesn’t know how to do, he asks me.”

In the fall, Faryean will be attending Michigan State University to major in neuroscience. Even though he’s the youngest graduate of the class of 2016, Faryean feels all the hoopla isn’t necessary.

He said, “I personally don’t think it’s a big deal because everyone can do it.”