​Hearts and Flowers: Brother school sends Valentine’s cheer

<p>Twelve students from Douglass made Valentine’s Day at DIA extra special. The students were: Edward Banks, Michael Betty, Kenneth Burns, Branden Davis, Paris Davis, Kamar Graves, Kron Grimes, Andre Harris, Tyrone Mitchell, Travion Stafford, Markel Stokes and Phillip Wade.</p>

Twelve students from Douglass made Valentine’s Day at DIA extra special. The students were: Edward Banks, Michael Betty, Kenneth Burns, Branden Davis, Paris Davis, Kamar Graves, Kron Grimes, Andre Harris, Tyrone Mitchell, Travion Stafford, Markel Stokes and Phillip Wade.

It wasn't the normal Heart-O-Gram at Detroit International Academy for Young Women. No, this year marked the first day the ladies of DIA were surprised by the young men of Frederick Douglass Academy and the National Future Project.

On Feb. 12, a dozen Douglass young men visited the fourth and fifth hour lunch periods with flowers and poems. The sisterhood were all smiles as they received hearts, carnations and stanzas. The DIA ladies were excited and surprised to see their brothers.

“The event was nice but it was a lot of girls everywhere so it made it to crowded in my lunch period,” sophomore Princess Brown said.

“The event was fun and it was cool to see our brotherhood caring for our sisterhood,” sophomore Cierra Spillman said.

Another participant said, “There were boys everywhere.”

Everyone seemed to have had a good time.