Survey: How have teens changed by generation

By Danielle Anderson The Communicator

Teenagers between 14-18 and adults were surveyed about differences between teenagers in the 21st century and those from the past. The majority responded that Generation Y (1980s-2000s) spends money boldly without any boundaries and has a social population and everything is a competition because of technology, whereas prior generations were on a different track from today’s youth because they lacked the advantages that teens experiences today.

“This generation is a microwave generation, they want everything now, they feel that media is the answer to everything, they don’t think they have to work hard, but we had to work hard for everything,” math teacher India Pope said.

The survey found older generations cared more about family, religion, and working hard.

“I think that today’s youth has enormous potential balanced with narcissism,” social studies teacher Benjamin Dirden said.

Today’s youth completely disagreed with past generations claiming technology has brought on new stressors in our world. Cyberbullying and social media has made a large footprint on how we see others.

“In the past families had higher moral values, because they were forced to avoid self-expression, like we can now,” junior Darren Bell said.

Today’s youth are in control of money, mind and decisions, and sometimes live a little too freely without restrictions because of how society is made to shape us.

“We are raised much differently than in the past, kids then were disciplined however, we are not so it leads to many complications,” freshman Taylor Griffin said.

To make a change you have to be willing to change yourself first then those around you will adjust.

“Today’s youth, they’re responsible for their future, everybody can be successful, but you have to be dedicated to accomplish your goals,” senior DaMonte Jones said.

This debate will continue as the gauge will continue to widen due to rapid changes in our society. One group believing that they are better than the rest simple due to attitude, education and technology is inevitable.