Students set sail to be engineers

By Synthea Gamez and Horcia Vargas The Western Express

So, I bet you’re thinking what in the world is S.H.P.E.?

S.H.P.E. stands for the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, and at Western International High School there is a junior division of the program and this is a brief intro into the program.

S.H.P.E. is an STEM-inspired program that opens up many opportunities that are foreign to Hispanic students. It involves many engineering fields and social skills all at no cost. Anyone is welcome to join to create a better future for themselves.

Why not join a free program to experience a multicultural, fun and friendly meeting that can positively impact your life? S.H.P.E. is a terrific, influential program as many members can vouch for as well.

Two important members of the team are Mario Zuniga and Ms. Rodriguez.

Zuniga is the president of the junior division and a senior here at Western. Influenced by his father’s hopes to have an engineer in the family, he decided to join as soon as he heard about the program.

“It offers countless opportunities ranging from, viewings of campuses, financial aid, multicultural encounters, to help towards any college of your choosing,” Zuniga said. “This program is amazingly influential and seeking new members. “

Zuniga said anyone is welcome to join. “The more the merrier,” he said.

Adviser Rodriquez handles all the meetings and encourages everyone to join.

“If you’re interested in mathematics and engineering fields this is a great opportunity,” Rodriquez said.

Meetings are arranged every first, and every other Tuesday of the month from 3:20 p.m.-5:30 p.m.