Rivalry on the gridiron

[gallery type="slideshow" link="none" size="large" ids="2767,2766,2765,2764,2763,2762,2761,2760,2759,2758,2757"]

From Staff Reports Photos by Isaiah Williams CT Visionary

On Oct. 23, two of the city’s biggest rivals and best football teams — Cass Tech and King — met at Ford Field to decide the Detroit Public School League championship.

It was a game that almost wasn’t played.

PSL athletic director Alvin Ward suspended the undefeated Crusaders after a post-game fight Oct. 18 at Cody. But after a lot of public outcry over the decision, Detroit Public Schools Emergency Manager Darnell Earley reversed the decision and allowed King to play.

And the game didn’t disappoint. More than 11,000 fans showed to watch a matchup that wasn’t decided until late in the fourth quarter, with the Crusaders edging out the Technicians, 27-25.

“With both Cass and King having a good chance at winning our respective state titles, I think it puts a good light on the PSL,” Cass Tech senior wide receiver Dwight Blakey said. “Hopefully it will draw more student athletes to both schools to keep the rivalry going strong, along with bringing in more money to the district.”

Cass Tech plays in Division 1 and King is in Division 2, so these two teams will now support each other’s bid for a state championship.

“Those brother’s who love each other must walk together,” he said,” Cass Tech coach Thomas Wilcher said. “Those brothers who hate each other must walk in front and learn to lead. Then we are working together and teaching each other. Now let’s go get these state titles.”