New faces at the helm of BCHS classrooms

By Mark Buford, Gregory Freeman, Zahid Salam and Sean Waters The Diagnostic

The class of 2019 are not the only new faces in the halls of Benjamin Carson High School this year. Several changes have been made at the front of its classrooms.

Among the newcomers, Kwaku Kwakyi takes the reins in BCHS’ Algebra II classes. Tasked with teaching mathematics to most of the 11th grade students at BCHS, Kwakyi plays a pivotal role in the future of the school, especially teaching its largest class.

“So far, the students are good. Overall, they are very good,” said Kwakyi, expressing that his students create a comfortable environment in which he can teach.

BCHS World History and African American History teacher Shannan Lockhart, who has taught at the school since it opened in 2011, sees the new teachers as a great fit in the staff.

Though seeing familiar faces at the front of the classroom can certainly benefit students as well, Lockhart believes that this year’s changes have been positive for the school.

“This year, overall the new teachers are very good,” said Lockhart regarding the new hires. “The morale of the staff is very high this year.”

Beyond changes in the classroom, there have also been shifts at the administrative level.

For instance, with Brenda Belcher’s promotion to network leader, former Dean of Culture Charles Todd assumed the position of BCHS principal at the beginning of the school year.