Loyola greets the Pope

Loyola among 34 Jesuit schools in Philadelphia for visit

By Kyle McBeth Bulldog News

The Pope is one of the most influential people in the world, and on Sept. 22, he arrived in Washington, D.C. for his first visit to the U.S. Three students from Loyola High School were there to take part in his historic visit.

Freshman Daniel Ackles, sophomore Brandon Zuniga, and juniors Noah Creer and Jack Johnson were accompanied by Loyola volunteer staff member Crystal Davidson. The group participated in events that surrounded the Pope’s visit during his time in Philadelphia on Sept. 26-27.

In addition to Loyola, 42 other Jesuit high schools were there to partake in the festivities. Davidson, said there were about 400 students in attendance.

“This was a once in a lifetime experience,” Davidson said.

While they were in Philadelphia, Loyola had the opportunity to meet and mingle with other Jesuit school students from all over the country. Most importantly, they were able to be a part of a historic event, and participate in mass by Pope Francis.

“I was happy, but surprised that I was actually there,” sophomore Brandon Zuniga said.

After the students returned to Loyola High School, they shared their thoughts and feelings with the other students and staff during Morning Prayer. Although many different things were said, one thing common to all was a feeling of awe and appreciation for the opportunity to make the trip.

“I knew it was going to be big, but it was bigger than I thought. It was great,” freshman Daniel Ackles said.