King takes STEM into community

Programs gives students way to explore science, tech careers

By Alexandria Kotaran, Robert O’Neal and Wa’Jae Wadford Crusaders’ Chronicle

King’s Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) program and Heroes Alliance reached out to the community to demonstrate how advanced technology is used to operate transportation.

Both programs took time assisting students interested in STEM as a path to success. This event took place on King’s campus where a parking lot was transformed into an automotive stage.

The Second Annual Intellectual Summit hosted by the Heroes Alliance, is an event that discusses the STEM program with activities motivating Detroit middle and high school students to go to college. Students learned about solar energy and constructed miniature solar cars. They also saw displayed tanks and other forms of transportation that do not run on gasoline

“I learned to go to high school and college so I can have something to fall back on,” said eighth grader Rapheal Hood.

The event was packed with food and multiple activities to keep the participants satisfied while they learned. Many presenters discussed how the automotive world is rapidly changing. TARDEC, a tank automotive researching company in Warren, was one of the companies on site to answer questions.

“We learned how to pick the right career, pursue our dreams and build our own life,” said eighth grader Mya Davis.

Some of the cars on display competed in the Solar Car Challenge in Texas this summer where high school students created solar operated vehicles.

“The goal was to see how long the batteries could last on sun power,” said Kalen Riley, a high school engineer from Ferndale. “Our car lasted about three hours on a 49 volt battery.”