Finally home

By Nathan Lymon Eye of the Hurricane

For five years, the Douglass Academy football field lay dormant.

After the field pipes were stolen from the middle of the field, potholes formed on the turf. But the Douglass Hurricanes players continued to play on it, which further damaged the field and some players were injured.

“I had tore my ACL, my hamstring and dislocated my kneecap,” said Kenneth Burns, Douglass senior and varsity football center.

So Douglass spent five years of traveling to Northwestern High School to play “home” games, but this year, Douglass has its football field back.

“I feel like I can now fully represent my school by playing on our own home field instead of going to another high school to play,” said Burns.

Junior running back Deon Butler said it is great having home fans “come cheer for us.”

“People I see at school everyday come out supporting me and not nobody, or students from another school,” said Butler. “It makes me feel like I can do better and show off for my teachers.”

Douglass staff also can walk across the parking lot instead of driving to another school for Douglass’ home games.

“It’s much more convenient for home our games because it’s easier for us to just walk across the field because, for one, we’re at home field advantage and we’re more comfortable here and tend to have more people on our own team,” said Dexter Hicks, Douglass Dean of Students.

Douglass football players say they feel more motivated now when playing true home games.

“Yeah, it’s definitely a boost. That’s why as of this year, principal (Berry) Greer, Mr. (Ronald) Collins, (1st Sgt. Laverne) Rush and myself chose, for home games, to cook food or have food catered for the football team, just to show them how much we support them,” said Hicks.

Said Burns: “Throughout the whole week, I’m practicing on that same field and when we finally get to play, I feel like I’m at home.”