Debate team has strong showing at local tournament

By Kyle McBeth Bulldog News

There comes a time in everyone’s life when they amount to something greater than they could have ever imagined. Becoming a very successful athlete after years of dedication and practice is a great example.

Imagine being a quarterback and breaking a record for the most touchdown passes in a season. You would start to feel a certain amount of greatness that would make you perform even better in the future. That is the exact feeling the Loyola debate team at a tournament last month at Wayne State University.

The Detroit Urban Debate League (DUDL) debate tournament is a tournament where many different schools compete. The event was the first tournament of the debate season for Loyola. Loyola’s teams did phenomenally.

First place speaker for novice went to Loyola’s Roger Walker and I was the first place speaker for varsity and junior varsity.

All together Loyola had the most wins of the teams that participated. As a result, we won an award called the Sweepstakes award. Loyola made it known that they were a team to be reckoned with and we felt great about it because everyone on the team won an award and left out with a feeling of accomplishment.

Even though the team had a successful tournament, coach Kathy Gross continues to push us, and she makes sure the whole team knows that debating and competing isn’t about the amount of wins you get, it’s about how much fun you have.

But winning is great too!