Crain, MSU commit to high school journalism

Michigan State University School of Journalism Editor in Residence Joe Grimm, left, talks with Jason Stein, publisher of Automotive News and other Crain staff members.

By Alana Burke Crusaders’ Chronicle

On Sept. 23, journalism students from several Detroit high schools met at the MSU Detroit Center on Woodward Avenue to hear about a new partnership between Crain Communications and Michigan State University.

Detroit-based Crain and Michigan State University’s School of Journalism have pledged to revitalize the Detroit High School Journalism Program, which has been helping Detroit students practice journalism since 1985. The Detroit Free Press coordinated the program until passing it to MSU last year.

This new collaboration — Crain MSU Detroit High School Journalism — allows high school journalists the opportunities to create print, audio and video news. Program Director Joy Visconti said she wants to bring the news in different formats in order to keep up with high-tech advancements.

“We have access to their (Crain’s) newsroom, where schools will pick pictures, articles, and organize their paper,” Visconti said. “We’re hoping to revamp the website by the end of the year. We also want to possibly get a podcast and webcast to keep up with the technology age.”

Visconti, along with students and teachers, are excited about this new access.

“Students will have more control over their newspaper,” Visconti said. “Students will have more opportunities as journalists.”

Crain has assigned each high school a mentor for support. James Treece, news editor for Automotive News, is working with King’s journalists.

“They’re going to offer a lot of support and resources,” Visconti said.

Jason Stein, publisher and editor of Automotive News and editorial director of Automotive News Europe & Automotive News China from Crain Communications, announced this new partnership to student-journalists and advisers. Crain and MSU will be working with high school journalist for at least the next five years.

“At a time when the city is rebuilding and doubling down on its own future, Crain and Automotive News are investing in great journalism, continually pouring resources into our own news operations here in the city, and now creating the potential for more young journalists to work within our own walls,” Stein said in a press release.