Class of ’16 gears up for final year

By DeiVion Drew, Lamonie Dudley, Alanna Greenlee, Tiona Jones, Chantel Oliver and Daijah Sims The Diagnostic

Benjamin Carson High School seniors cannot help but think “Ready, set, go!” as they prepare to zoom off in what is an action-packed final year of high school for most. Many face mixed emotions, but are they ready?

Many students manage to not melt under the pressure.

“I’m not nervous about going to college. I feel like it›s going to be an amazing experience for me,” said Ibrahim Bilesammi, a senior at BCHS.

As the seniors attend college fairs, events like the upcoming Decision Day on Oct. 31, and even begin to receive college acceptance letters, it can tend to ease the senior year stress in many of the students.

However, BCHS senior Gregory Crawford thinks otherwise. “I’m not too nervous, but I’m mainly worried about the workload and being in a brand new environment.”

To combat these common anxieties, BCHS offers many college and test preparation classes, programs, and training to get them ready for that big jump into the “real world.” For instance, as a science and medicine high school, many seniors have been on a track towards a career in the medical field for the past three years, engaging in internship programs and other opportunities made available through partnerships with the Detroit Medical Center and the Henry Ford Health System.

Overall, though, much of the BCHS class of 2016 find themselves more than ready to begin to follow their own path, whether it be college, the military, or wherever else their heart leads them.

After all, according to BCHS senior Ma-Kayla Jackson, it is only right for them to lead the way.

Jackson said, “I mean it’s senior year! Who wouldn’t be happy? I am ready for everything that comes next. Life starts here and I’m ready for my future to begin.”