Cass football program hits milestone

Coach Wilcher sends 10th player to U.S. Army All-American Bowl

By Kaelyn Collins CT Visionary

Cass Tech head football coach Thomas Wilcher will be sending his 10th player to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, Jan. 9 in San Antonio, Texas. The game will be aired on NBC.

This season’s Technicians selected for the All-American Game are senior wide receiver/corneback Demetric Vance Jr. and offensive/defensive lineman Michael Owenu.

“I’m very excited,” said Vance. It is a blessing to be invited to a national game like this. I’m just looking forward to going down there and representing for Detroit.”

Vance and Owenu will be joining a long line of Technicians in the game.

Owenu said, “Wilcher has been a good man, mentor and coach to me. I didn’t start playing football until I was in ninth grade. Starting out late he took me from an average Joe into a U.S. All-American. I owe him a great debt. I believe he is the best in the PSL, state and one of the greats in the country.”

Technically, 10 technicians have ventured to Texas for the game, but Wilcher can take credit for one more. Following his junior season at Cass Tech, LaVert Hill transferred to Martin Luther King High School. He also was selected for the All-American Bowl.

“Wilcher is a great coach one of the best I have experienced. I know I can call him for anything,” said Hill.

It’s no wonder Michigan head football coach Jim Harbaugh reached out to recruit Owenu just as soon as NCAA rules allowed him to. Harbaugh is known for his recruiting style for the best players across the country.

Harbaugh texted Owenu: “Mike tonight is the night that the coaching staff’s across America become infatuated with the 2017 class. I wanted to stay up to tell you that I am focused on bringing in the best 2016 class in the country! Your class is the cornerstone of our program!”

Cass Tech’s U.S. Army All-Americans

• William Campbell, University of Michigan
  • Dior Mathis, University of Oregon
  • Boubacar Cissoko, University of Michigan
  • Joseph Barksdale, Louisiana State University
  • Royce Jenkins Stone, University of Michigan
  • Jourdan Lewis, University of Michigan
  • Damon Webb, Ohio State University
  • Michael Weber, Ohio State University
  • Demetric Vance, Michigan State University (commit)
  • Michael Owenu, University of Michigan (commit)