Loyola celebrates Homecoming week

By Christopher Turner Bulldog News

It’s that time of year again at Loyola High School. Every year, Loyola celebrates Spirit Week leading up to their homecoming game. This year, Spirit Week was October 12-16 Loyola’s Homecoming game was Oct. 18 against Divine Child. The Bulldogs won, 52-14.

“Spirit Week is always a great time, because it uplifts the football team all week long before the big homecoming game,” junior Kailen Abrams said.

For each day of Spirit Week there is a theme as well as end of the day competitions. As a tradition, instead of going to study hall the kids partake in a different school-wide event against opposing Houses to earn House points.

Spirit Week begins with what many students dream about – the students got to come to school in their pajamas. The House event was a pizza-eating contest. The next day was College Day, which is a day when the students represent a college. The day ended the day with a tug of war contest.

Wednesday was Detroit Day. The students showed their city pride by dressing up in their best Detroit gear. The activity for the day was the traditional Quiz Bowl, which tests students on Loyola history, Detroit trivia, Jesuit trivia, and Detroit sports trivia.

Thursday was Wacky Day. The students had to wear the craziest outfit that they could come up with. The House Event that followed was the Wrecking Ball challenge, a test to see who can stay standing the longest on an inflated pad while being hit with an inflated wrecking ball.

To cap off Spirit Week the students showed their school pride by wearing blue and white, the school colors, and by having a Pep Rally that usually includes an anticipated series of dodgeball games.

Junior Lavell Massey said he likes Spirit Week because, “Spirit Week gives you a chance to express yourself about several different things.”