BCHS seniors delve into new pharmacy program

By Joy Johnson The Diagnostic

As Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine grows year after year, so too does its body of community partnerships. This year, BCHS has partnered with the Wayne County Community College District to provide seniors with an opportunity to explore its Pharmacy Technology program.

The course is only offered to seniors because those who take the end-of-program exam must be 18 years of age or older.

The new course stands as a great challenge to the seniors, and focuses on developing strong work habits with a direct connection to the medical field. BCHS senior Tyree April, a current student in the Pharmacy Tech. program, feels that the new partnership is a unique opportunity for the school.

“Pharmacy Tech. should be given to all seniors that have a great work ethic,” said April. He defines work ethic as having good study habits, doing all of your work, and keeping track of any missing assignments, which are all particularly important in the Pharmacy Tech. course because the instructors are not on premises on a daily basis.

The Pharmacy Tech. program fits perfectly into the science and medicine focus at BCHS, but students such as BCHS seniors A’zyea Godwin and Joshua Echols believe it would be a welcome addition in other local schools as well.

Most students find the new opportunity a challenging one. All pharmacy technicians in training are administered two quizzes a week, culminating in exams on the quizzed material.

However difficult, new opportunities are new opportunities. BCHS expands each and every year, striving to provide its student body with as many paths towards future success as possible. The Pharmacy Tech program is just one of the many steps taken to open doors that may not have been open beforehand.