Battle of the classes

By Rikiya Anderson, Brianna Coleman and Lonnie Wymes The Communicator

On Oct. 23, competition and excitement ignited the halls of Communication & Media Arts High School as students participated in the annual Olympiad competition held in the school’s gym.

When the school opened, there was no football team, so school founders developed a nontraditional battle to test which group was the strongest class.

With the schools largest graduating classes leading the way; physical strength, teamwork, agility and determination is a prerequisite for the winner. Each class level participated in; tug of war, obstacle course, a basketball shootout, limbo to name a few. 

“The seniors are the best class so there’s really no competition,” senior Erika Davis said.

“This year the seniors have competition, because the sophomores are not going down without a fight,” said sophomore Christen Sanders.

Ultimately, the seniors won with a score of four. A bittersweet moment as they successfully claim the Olympiad champion banner at the last Olympiad they will participate in.

The banner was immediately hung up in the senior hallway soon after Olympiad was completed.

The fun continued at the Homecoming dance held at the Shriners Silver Garden Event Center in Southfield, where seniors Fallon Brown and Nathaniel Wallace were crowned queen and king.