Back to school

By Kenneth Burns and Khalil Wilson Eye of the Hurricane

Some graduating seniors have a bone to pick with this year’s late Labor Day. By state law, public schools can’t start until after Labor Day, and that resulted in a two-week delay this year, which in turn will take a bite out of seniors’ pre-college summer plans.

Previous seniors started their summers in mid-May, but this year’s class won’t finish before June 2.

“I had plans to go and visit family out of state in June, but now I have to be in class doing more work,” said Douglass senior Vincent Wilks.

While some seniors aren’t excited at having less time to enjoy their summer before college, Principal Berry Greer is on board. He said he feels that the longer Douglass students spend in class, the more improvement they will show.

“Douglass has improved in discipline, academics, and social communications skills, and the extended time gives me a chance to become a bit more close to my seniors this year and help them become young men,” said Greer.

Although seniors say they don’t mind getting a bit more acquainted with the Douglass staff, some acknowledge the schedule has its inconveniences.

“I had planned to go to a college and spend some time there but I must postpone my visit because I still have school,” said Corey Wells-Marion, a Douglass senior and basketball player who has hopes to play in college.

Other seniors say they don’t really care about the extra couple of weeks.

“It’s not that big of a deal, just another two weeks or so,” said Douglass senior football player Michael Betty.

For senior Drake Glover, the extra summer weeks at Douglass can prove beneficial.

“I feel like in all reality it’s a smart thing to do,” said Glover. “It gives us a bit more time to be prepared for our future and really be prepared for the real world we’re being put in.”