Renaissance: Slaughter named PSL- “Proud Strong Learner of the Week”

By Nnenna Nnaji Staff Writer

Junior Nijah Slaughter was just one of the many softball players that facilitated the 8-1 victory over Cass Tech, leading to the Phoenix 11th consecutive Detroit Public School League girls’ softball championship. Her coach and teammates have recognized her skills specifically and therefore she has been named PSL Proud Strong Learner of the Week.

“She’s gotten better and better each year,’’coach Garrard Taylor told DPS Media Information Director Chuck Johnson. “She’s a power pitcher and a hard worker and takes a lot of pride in what she does.

Slaughter hasa fast ,dominate throw and a record of 66 strikeouts and a 1.14 earned run average, which is veryimpressive for a junior. She rarely plays the outfield but when she does she excels.“She’s just a great athlete. She really can play any position on the field, from catcher to the outfield. It’s rare that you get a player who can do that. But she wants to be the best and you can tell that by her grades. She works just as hard in the classroom as she does on the field,” said Taylor.

Slaughter is a third year varsity player and shows she has multiple skills when it comes to the field.

“ She is by far the best pitcher I have seen in the PSL. She was a big part of our win in the championship and she really does deserve Proud Strong Learner of the Week. Nijah is the type of softball player you rarely see- motivated and dedicated to this sport. Someday she will make it to the pros, and I’m going to be watching on the TV screen like,”Hey, I use to play with her,” said teammate grade Kaila Lindsey.