Cass Tech: It's a downtown takeover

By Jahaira Maxwell CT Visionary Staff Writer

Mike Ilitch is opening new doors to CT students. As the owner of Little Ceasers, The Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers, The Fox Theatre and Olympia Entertainment. Ilitch along with his team are working to redevelop and flourish downtown Detroit. Buying all the land around Cass Tech he made it available to 25 Technicians to intern directly under him around downtown Detroit. Looking directly outside the windows of Cass Tech you can see beginning stages of construction for the stadium.

“Im ready for this experience I think this is a good opportunity for us. I think it will help somebody in the long run. This is a once in a lifetime experience” CT junior Jonae’ Maxey stated.

From the Fox theatre to Comerica Park Cass students have been spread out and assigned specific jobs. Ranging for security to singing the National Anthem at Tigers games, CT students are taking over downtown. Working over the summer and during the next school year the class of 2016 will be the first graduating class to be offered this opportunity.

“The Red Wings Stadium will bring more people here. The internships will bring more people here because it’s more opportunities.” sophomore Karen Cyras stated.

“I didn't do the internship this year but I hope it'll be available next year. I didn't think they would work around me and I felt like I didn’t have a chance.” freshman Justin Lee said.

Going after what you want, being consistent and working hard are things that Cass Tech students are taught. This opportunity was not granted to the previous considering they were graduating. Ilitch opening the doors to CT students can open doors to other high schools around Detroit in the future.

“I wish this was available when I was a freshman. Cass is changing as well as the neighborhood around Cass but this is how the real world is. You have to be ready for change.” Cass Tech Alum Brandon Lee stated.

“I feel like it’s a good experience, but I wouldn’t have had time to do it even if it was available while I was a student.” CT alum Fatou Sow said.