Renaissance: Students react to Spartans' sweet victory

By Ryan Thomas Staff Writer

The Michigan State Spartans basketball team defeated the Virginia Cavaliers on Sunday, March 22. The Spartans earned a trip to the NCAA Tournament’s Sweet 16 after the win.

“You can tell that Michigan State is chasing a goal by the way they play. The team isn’t going to go this far without giving it their all to win a championship,” said sophomore Jalen Tate.

Heading to the Sweet 16 is an accomplishment for any basketball program in the country. Out of a total of 68 teams participating in the NCAA Tournament only 16 teams are remaining. Making it to the Sweet 16 also makes a team a step closer to win the National Championship.

“I never would’ve thought Michigan State could beat Virginia after all the talent that left the team last year,” said freshman Martez Webster.

Even though the Spartans have good history in March in the last few years, many people didn’t think they would get to the Sweet 16. According to ESPN out of the estimated 11.57 million of the brackets submitted, 68.2% of them had Virginia beating Michigan State.

“As far as everything goes, this weekend, were trying to go and win the thing-and that’s what youve got to do,” said Spartans head coach Tom Izzo.

The Spartans will play the Oklahoma Sooners on Friday in Syracuse, New York. It will be their 13th time playing in the Sweet 16 under Coach Izzo.