Renaissance: School spirit sweeps the school

By Makayla Rand Staff writer

School spirit has been sweeping the school this week in honor of spirit week leading up to the Grammy Awards on Friday,  March 20.

Students have been dressing to match each theme in order to show their support of spirit week.  On Monday students dressed as teachers while teachers dressed as students for student teacher swap day. Tuesday was style over comfort day in honor of the late senior Billy Watts where students were able to wear clothes that expressed their unique style.

“So far spirit week has been successful. A lot of the students are participating, and it’s cool to see a variety of styles when I walk through the hallways instead of the same old uniform,” said sophomore Samaira Lyles.

Some students feel that spirit week is a good opportunity for the students to have a little fun while at school.

“I like spirit week because it’s fun. We don’t have to wear uniforms for a whole week, which is pretty cool. I can express myself through my outfits and I can see others do the same. I didn’t have this at my middle school which is why I like it so much,” said freshman Darreon Amos.

Some parents agree that spirit week is good for the students.

“I loved spirit week when I was in high school. I know how much fun we were able to have and having a break felt good too. I know being at Renaissance can get pretty stressful considering it is one of the top schools in Detroit, so a little liveliness is great,” says Renaissance parent  Tonisha Pointdexter.

There are still three days left of spirit week and most students are ready to continue in the fun.

“I’m excited for the rest of the week because I get to have fun with my clothes and let everyone else see. I’m looking forward to Friday the most because we get to have our pep rally which is always fun,” said sophomore Raina Allen.