Renaissance Varsity Boys Basketball Team Advances To City Championship

By Miracle Chatman

Staff Writer

For the first time since 2008, the Phoenix boys varsity basketball team will play in the city championship game at Calihan Hall for their shot to bring home the city championship title, a title that they haven’t had since 2004.

In an intense semi-final game against East English Village Preparatory High School, junior Alaric Jackson shot two free throws, giving the Phoenix a four point lead over their opponents with three seconds remaining in the game. These two crucial free throws secured the win for the Phoenix and their spot in the city championship game.

“I was excited and happy after shooting those free throws because I knew we were going to Calihan hall and we haven’t been in seven years,” said Jackson.

The Phoenix will face Western International, a team with a record of 16-0 who also haven’t been to Calihan Hall in a while.

Earlier in the season Western defeated the Phoenix 56-41.  With Western having a good record, one of the highest ranking teams in the state, many people’s expectations for the game is clear.

“I’m ready for this game. I know it’s not going to be easy to bring home that title, but the team is preparing for it. I know a lot of people are predicting that Western will win, that just boosts my energy for the game. We [are]  about to prove a lot of people wrong,” said senior Daelyn Davis.

Despite the expectations of people around the city, the students of Renaissance think differently.

“I’m so proud of the basketball team, and I can’t wait for the game. I know they are going to make us proud,” said senior Brandi Hess.  "I know a lot of students are coming out to support and that’s good because they are going to need it.”