Renaissance: Kat Dahlia Flourishes in My Garden

By Curtis Dinwiddie Staff writer

For those who believe music always matters,  the new singer-songwriter from Florida named Kat Dahlia is their new artist. Kat released her hotly anticipated debut album My Garden on Jan. 13 under Epic Records.

“You have daisies, sunflowers, willows, thorns - all evoking different emotions, expressions and meanings. I’m inviting everyone into my garden, my mind, my music,” said Kat Dahlia.

Kat is a BET Music Matters artist known for her razor-sharp lyrics and aggressive flow.

“Kat Dahlia has a voice that reminds me of the late Janis Joplin or Amy Winehouse. 2015 will be her year of discovery,” said senior Ayannah Muhammad.

The first single off the album, called “Gangsta”, addresses people who claim to follow the word, but they don’t know the true meaning. The consecutive single is “Crazy” about citizens in love with feelings of insanity and mismanaged emotions. The LP has a Cuban-American flow with “flower” sounds.

According to NPR.org, “Dahlia's first album, My Garden, was a long time coming, but the wait was clearly worthwhile. It's a stellar album that truly does not sound like a debut.”

Phoenix Rising rates My Garden 3.9 out of 5 stars for its eclectic mix of popular genres. It lets you into the mindset of one who recovers from a broken heart and turns the pain into magic.