Will ISIS attack U.S., Detroit?

By Jasmine Jones Staff Writer

ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) is an Islamic group of militants located in Iraq and the Mediterrean coast. They’ve been in existence for about 10 years. In the last few months, ISIS seized territory in both Iraq and Syria and declared an Islamic caliphate. They force others to convert to Islam, as reported by NBC News.

According to Human Rights Watch, “ISIS has targeted minority groups in the region such as Christian nuns, Turkmen, and Shabaks. If they refuse to convert to Islam, they will be executed by having their heads cut off."

“I feel that what ISIS is doing is wrong because they are forcing people to convert to Islam,” senior Muntha Mumin said. “But it’s against our religion [and] it’s forbidden to use violence to force someone to convert to Islam.”

“It is sad to see innocent lives being taken,” senior Jessica Hogan said. “Those people have no feelings towards anyone because all they want to do is spread their religion. But everybody does not want to follow that and I just think it's sad that their lives have to be taken over something like that."

According to CNN, President Barack Obama ordered targeted airstrikes on Iraq to begin in early August. It was due to after ISIS fighters began targeting ethnic Yazidis and launching attacks toward the Kurdish regional capital of Irbil.

In response to his actions, a masked ISIS figure speaks to Obama telling him, “Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.”

The message was linked to the video of the execution of the American journalist Steven Sotloff. It was released on the Internet to warn others about the power of ISIS, as reported by CNN.

Already over 150 airstrikes have been released in three major locations. These include Mosul Dam, Irbil, and Sinjar. Some people are worried that ISIS will strike the U.S.

"I would hate for them to come and attack Detroit because I like it. I go to school here at D.I.A. and its near downtown Detroit so if something were to happen [downtown], it could affect the school and the students [here],” Alexandia Wyrick said.