Time to shine for Cadet Wynn

By Sheritha Rayford Staff Writer

Cadet and senior Otis Wynn, recently received a promotion in rank, which mean he is one of King High School’s Junior Reserve Officer Training Course cadets selected to be on the headquarters staff. Otis is currently ranked as Cadet Colonel and holds the position of Chief of Staff.

Wynn’s job consists of making sure his staff is doing their what they are supposed to do, attend all events pertaining to JROTC, fulfilling the Corps Commander’s goals and visions; basically his job is to manage the cadet corps staff which consist of five officers.

‘My ninth grade year, the Battalion Commander inspired me to become more than a private, and my father, who is currently a Captain in the U.S Army, also inspired me,” Wynn said.

Wynn plans on attending West Point Military Academy next fall.

“There is a process you have to go through in order to visit the West Point Campus,” Wynn said. “Out of 10,000 candidates they only choose 1,000 to attend a Summer Leadership Experience (SLE) and I was one of those chosen to attend. I basically, lived life as a Cadet. While there I participated in academic classes, military training and athletic training. It was a challenge but I loved it.”

His dream is to become an Army officer and get a doctorate in psychology.

“There are a few road blocks that may come across in the upcoming year which will consist of communicating with the JROTC Corps Staff because of the different schools,” Wynn said.