Popularity of tattoos extends to DIA

By Alayzjia Harris and Juanita Stewart Staff Writers

Tattoos are one of the oldest forms of body art, and today they more common than ever. From rapper Lil’ Wayne whose body is covered in tattoos — 93 tattoos to be exact — to the ladies of Detroit International Academy, tattoos have gone mainstream.

“Tattoos aren’t a big deal, even though I don’t have any,” senior Dajai Miller said. “I still feel people have an option to get a tattoo or don’t get a tattoo it’s not my skin, so why should I be concerned?”

First Sergeant Thomas Roulhac said: “Unless you’re an adult who has your mind made up, don’t make any regretful decisions ... getting something permanently printed into your skin that has to be there forever.”

Tattooing has an age requirements, consumers must be at least 18 years of age in order to get a legal tattoo.

Senior Marissa Flatt said, “[I] got permission [from my mom] to get a tattoo before getting it.”

She went to a tattoo party to get them, instead of going to a tattoo shop. Unfortunately, there are some students who get tattoos without their parent’s permission.

Senior Shania Franklin said she thinks people shouldn’t get a tattoo without having a purpose.

“My tattoo is [of] my parents’ name written into the shape of a heart. My parents mean the world to me which is why I got this tattoo,” she said.

“I got my tattoo when I was 15, and I wish I wouldn’t have rushed and got it because now I can see that a Hello Kitty tattoo doesn’t symbolize anything,” Osborn junior Angel Swift said. “I can honestly say that I regret getting this tattooed into my skin permanently.”