JROTC challenges cadets

By Bruce Johnson Jr. Staff Writer

“The purpose of the Cadet Challenge is to assess the physical fitness of the battalion as a whole,” said Sergeant First Class Terry Strauss, one of the two JROTC instructors of the Hurricane Battalion at Douglass.

On Sept. 25, Douglass had the first of two annual full battalion Cadet Challenges for the school year. The Challenge is a combination of five events that test the student’s physical ability throughout the year. The exercises are sit-ups, the V-sit reach, pull-ups, the shuttle run, and the one mile run.

“Those who put forth a good effort did well, but it is a participatory event, so who so ever does the event gets credit,” said Strauss.

As each student completes the events, the students get rewarded if they are commendable in the five events which satisfy the National Presidential Personal Fitness award. Those who earn a 50% or higher in proficiency in all the events earn the National Personal Fitness award, a red patch to go on their JROTC uniform. Those who score an 80% or higher in proficiency will receive a blue patch to go on their uniform and a red one as well.

“In my eight years here at Frederick Douglass Academy, Antoine Roberts is the only one in those years to receive the Presidential Personal Fitness award,” said Strauss.

Roberts, a junior, received the Presidential Personal fitness award.

“I knew from assessing Antoine from the last two years his scores have been getting batter and I knew eventually he would get the award,” said First Sergeant Laverne Rush.

The previous two years he only received the National Personal Fitness award, but now this year, he won the presidential award.

“It is a great accomplishment. I’m proud that someone received the award,” said Battalion Commander Evan Rodgers.

Everyone is looking forward to the second cadet challenge, where we hope that we have at least two more winners of the Presidential Award and many more National awards.

“The second Cadet Challenge will be much more successful and other cadets will look at the success of Antoine and will strive to meet his goal as well as their own goal,” said Rodgers.

“The Second Cadet challenge I envision us having 15 National and 2-3 Presidential awards,” said Rush.