Dream Team looks to the future

By Diamond Bateman and Rayshawn Vaughn Staff Writer

The Future Project offers support for student’s passions and interests. Students involved in Future Project at East English Village are members of the Dream Team.

“The Dream Team is a group of students that believe that they are powerful and can make dreams come true,” said Kayla Mason, coordinator of the Future Project.

The Dream Team consist of students from various grade levels that focus on improving the school and making their dreams a reality. This program is project based and offers support in creating the visions of individual students.

Members of the Dream Team make up EEVPA’s Student Leadership Team. During sessions, students develop ideas to improve the school’s culture and methods to improve teacher/student relations. Presently, a plan is underway to improve student/teacher dialogue and create positive respectful mutual relationships.

Senior Darnell Obamwonyi, a member of the Dream Team, said: “Students involved are exposed to new opportunities, which broaden our options and future. Students are also bridged together in a positive movement to bring change to our school.”

Obamwonyi plans to attend Michigan State University next fall and will major in architecture. Being a member of the Dream Team will ensure that he is prepared and transitions successfully.

The Future Project and the Dream Team are currently located in five DPS Schools, including EEVPA. This is the first year for the program. One of the goals is to encourage and provide support for students.

“We also want to encourage students to attend school more and believe their dreams can come true,” Mason said.

Through various activities, students will become independent thinkers and develop leadership skills. To become a member of the Dream Team, visit Mason in Room E119. She is available throughout the school day and Wednesday after school from 3:30-4:30 p.m.