Detroit’s promise to students: scholarships for college

By Bruce Johnson Jr.

Staff Writer

In the ever constant struggle to pay college fees, there is a reprieve amidst the storm. The Detroit College Promise (DCP) is an organization in Metro Detroit that gives a monetary value to students who intend to attend college and have spent their four years of high school in a Detroit Public School.

DCP is like other scholarships, but the money received will vary from $200 to $1,000, depending on funding of the program by donors.

DCP program has been in existence for six years. CEO Nat Pernick started it in 2008 and is the biggest donor.

Though the monetary awards from DCP don’t cover the cost of a full college education, DCP intern Cara Cole says donations have increased with awareness of the program.

“I can’t see when we will be able to pay for the full cost for tuition, but we will be able to assist students in paying for college fees,” said Cole.

Current DPS ninth graders are automatically enrolled in the program. All they have to do to receive the award is stay in DPS until they graduate. There is no GPA or ACT requirement in order to receive the money. Sophomores, juniors and seniors must have applied as freshmen. Students should see their counselor to determine your eligibility.