He’s at the Top of his game in journalism and basketball

In the recent past, Darrell Davis, Jr. has enjoyed a storybook life.

Last year, he was an editor for FreepHigh’s Douglass Orator, winner of the MVJ Award (Most Valuable Journalist Award), winner of the Best Feature Story of the Year Award, and was named all-city, all-state, and DPS Player of the Year in basketball.

Where is he now?

Davis attends the University of Dayton were he plays basketball for the Dayton Flyers. While basketball practice has only recently started, Davis has been conditioning for months. The athletic department at Dayton holds study hall for two hours on Sundays to allow for individual workouts.

Davis has grown 11/2 inches and gained 20 pounds. He is now almost 6-foot-6 and 200 pounds. His vertical leap has been measured at 351/2 inches. Davis and the Flyers will open at home against Alabama A&M on Nov. 14.

“Right now, I’m shooting 60% from the field during practice. That’s the best on the team,” Davis said.

“I will be getting a lot of playing time because last year they had a starting guard that transferred out. I will be playing at the point guard position and starting this year,” Davis said.

Though success may seem to come easily to Davis, that doesn’t mean he hasn’t worked hard.

“College is a lot harder because you are more on your own,” said Davis.

“When you become a student athlete, get your work done first, focus on your sport second and play around last. Do what you have to do then,” said Davis. “But you have to have good grades if you want to continue in life.”

Davis said working with Joy Visconti on FreepHigh assignments helped him out because he was pushed to meet deadlines and explore events from different perspectives. Davis said he feels proud of his accomplishments in journalism.

“Journalism helped me out a lot with writing, and it made me think harder about what I want to write,” Davis said.

Douglass Staff Writer