Cody gets a makeover

By De’Ante Clark and Tyler Zellous Staff Writer

In August, over 15,000 volunteers joined students, staff, and Cody-Rouge residents to work on projects on the Cody campus and in a 100-block area surrounding the schools.

According to liferemodeled.com, the agency “exists to remodel lives one neighborhood at a time.” They focus on a Detroit Public School and the surrounding neighborhood “in order to create academic and athletic improvements.”

Life Remodeled CEO Chris Lambert said that in choosing a Detroit neighborhood to work with, they look for a combination of need and hope.

“The students and residents of Cody-Rouge have been working hard to turn things around for years: dramatically increased graduation rates, decreased crime, decreased blight, increased block clubs, etc. This is what caused us to choose Cody first,” Lambert said. “When we met the students and residents of Cody-Rouge, we learned there was not only significant need, but radical hope.”

Cody DIT senior Cordon Holland-Thomas was one of dozens of Cody students who spent a week of summer vacation volunteering at school.

“I helped with painting, carpentry, landscaping, and heavy lifting. I helped because i want to see a brighter, newer school,” said Holland-Thomas.

Cody’s makeover was recorded on film, and The Redford Theater will host a red carpet premiere for Cody High: A Life Remodeled Project on Oct. 26. More information is available at liferemodeled.com.