Cass Tech adds IB program

By Chante’ Campbell, Jahaira Maxwell-Myers and Alon Otis Cass Tech Staff Writers

Cass Technical High School senior Angel DelaTorre recalls studying for his Baccalaureate (BC) Advanced Placement calculus exam on his way to a swim meet.

"It’s really hard stuff,” DelaTorre said. “This is one of the hardest math classes I’ve ever had, and I’m really determined to get a good grade. ... I studied during travel time because I knew I wouldn’t have much time to study after the meet.”

Cass Tech athletes are every bit as dedicated to their studies as non-athletes and although Cass is widely known for its athletics, Cass is also notable for its academic excellence.

In August, Cass Tech became the first high school in Detroit to receive the International Baccalaureate (IB) World School diploma program designation. The International Baccalaureate is an academically rigorous program that helps students prepare for college entry. The focus in IB classrooms is on problem-solving, critical thinking and global awareness.

"I'm so excited,” Principal Lisa Phillips said. “Not just for the program, but for the students.”

According to the International Baccalaureate website, the curriculum of the International Baccalaureate degree program focuses on international perspectives of learning and teaching, while insisting that students fully explore their home culture and language.

“It’s beneficial for all the students involved,” Phillips said.

Although it has taken Cass Tech three years to get the program approved, English Instructor and IB coordinator Sherise Hedgespeth’s effort is now focused on getting more than 15 teachers trained so the IB program could be fully integrated as soon as January 2015.

“We still have to work out some of the kinks with how we will be introducing the program” said Phillips said. “But I assure you, we’re doing everything we can to implement the program as soon as possible.”

Not only has Cass Tech received recognition for its newly acclaimed IB status, it has also been recognized for its dual-enrollment program with Wayne Community College. Students are offered a variety of courses and are given the opportunity to earn college credit and even an associate’s degree after completing the required courses.

In May 2015, more than 30 Cass Tech seniors will be graduating from Wayne County Community College with their hard-earned associate’s degree.

“It’s just amazing,” said business teacher Richard James said. “These students have been dedicated to this program since their freshmen year, and all their hard work is paying off. They’re graduating high school with two years of college experience, they’re ahead of the game.