Breakfast in Class: Mess or Miracle?

By Kaleb A. Oates Staff Writer

The Detroit Public School District has adopted a new breakfast procedure. In collaboration with the Office of Food Service and Nutrition, DPS has begun serving breakfast in classrooms during the first hour. This method will allow many more students to eat, considering some students are unable to arrive at 7:30 a.m. when breakfast was formerly served. School board officials also believe that this method will guarantee an increase in school attendance. 

“It’ll allow more students to be fed breakfast,” Douglass principal Berry Greer said. “Instead of feeding 40%, we’d rather feed 100%.”

Despite the logic and rationale behind the new procedure, it has not found favor with all staff at Douglass. While a few educators thought it was a good idea, many disagreed.

Douglass science teacher Gigi Branham-Williams disagrees with the new approach. She explains that the school, specifically her classroom, already has a pre-existing pest problem. She says food and crumbs end up on the floor and desks, making a feast for pests.

“I’m already trying to taper the pest problem in my classroom, now breakfast!” said Branham-Williams.

Others feel that taking time out to serve and eat breakfast consumes precious instructional time. Some argue that dealing with student behavior, paperwork, and everyday administrative changes is a big enough burden, let alone balancing time to oversee the breakfast period.

“This will subtract from class time. Some students need a little extra help,” said Douglass resource teacher Amanda Morris. “How will this time be supplemented?”

On the other hand, some staff members have discovered the benefits of allowing students to eat breakfast in classroom. Douglass math teacher Ronald Collins originally did not agree with the program, but now feels it serves its purpose well.

“I was surprised with the amount of breakfast bags being served,” said Collins. “This method has also shown growth in student performance.”

He has discovered a great increase in the number of students who are able to eat breakfast now. Collins said he is glad to know that the food is going to satisfy a hungry, maybe even empty, stomach.

“My meals for the entire day are provided in school, breakfast and lunch,” said a Douglass sophomore, who asked not to be named. “Since they arranged breakfast in class, I’m able to eat breakfast, not just lunch.”