Accolades continue for RB Weber

By Rahman LaSalle and Ebony Tyson Staff Writers

During a Cass Tech homecoming halftime presentation on Sept. 26, senior running back Michael Weber was named to the U.S. Army All-American Team. By his side, were his parents and family members elated with pride, as Weber accepted the honor.

The 2015 All-American game will be played in San Antonio, Texas on Jan. 3. The game will be aired on NBC.

This year, Weber was the only high school football player in the state to be selected to play in the All American game, making him the seventh player from Cass Tech in the last decade to receive an invitation.

Cass Tech head coach Thomas Wilcher recruited Weber from Detroit Enterprise Academy, his eighth grade year along with senior linebacker Keith Jones. Weber once played for the Think Detroit PAL Colts and the Saints, where his father was his coach.

Weber suffered an injury as a varsity freshman at Cass Tech, yet the team still grabbed back-to-back state championships in 2011 and 2012. The 2013 team was undefeated, with Weber scoring over 25 touchdowns during the season to become the No.1 running back in the state and the No.2 running back in the country.

During the summer, Weber was invited to camps and visited several Division I colleges, including University of Southern California, Wisconsin, University of Illinois, North Carolina State and Ohio State. However, the University of Michigan will add Weber to its roster in the fall of 2015

“I really liked the coaching staff, and Michigan was a family decision,” Weber said. “I wanted to be close enough to home that my family could come to my games.”

[headline size="small"]Mr. Football 2014 Contest[/headline]

To vote for Mike Weber:

1. Log on to: www.statechampsnetwork.org

2. Click “Contests & Promos”

3. Click “Mr. Football 2014 Contest”

4. Type in your email address, scroll down to “Mike Weber Jr.-Senior”

5. Click the red vote box

6. Tell your friends! The more votes the better!