Former NBA player, coach joins Mumford staff

Students have been heard calling him ‘that tall guy in the A hallway.’ His name is Jerome Allen, and he joined the Mumford staff in September as the parent support coordinator. 

Allen said the job requires him to be in contact with every aspect of student life.

“Obviously I’m an advocate for families and students,” Allen said. “But I also form relationships and connections amongst the teachers, the support staff, the administrators, the parents and the students, creating synergy so we all feel like we’re moving in the same direction.”

Senior Omari Lunsford stops on his way to class for a quick talk with parent support coordinator Jerome Allen on Nov 3. Students who’ve met the former NBA coach know that’s the best place to find him. PHOTO BY ANTKWUN WHEELER/MUSTANG VOICE

Before coming to Mumford, Allen had a career with the NBA. He played for four different teams and then turned to coaching.

“I worked as an assistant coach for the Boston Celtics for six years, and for the past two years, for the Detroit Pistons,” Allen said. 

When Allen left coaching at the end of the 2022-2023 season with the Pistons, he was living in the Detroit area. 

“There was a job posting for this position at Mumford, and I reached out to my friend, Dean Hogan, and he encouraged me to apply,” Allen said.

Allen said this isn’t his first time in a teaching role. He taught at a high school In the Philadelphia area in 2015.

“I always said that if I hadn’t worked in professional sports, my dream job would be to be a teacher,” Allen said.

Along with his responsibilities at Mumford, Allen still works for the NBA as a pro personnel scout for the Boston Celtics.

“Mumford has been such a blessing to my family and me,” Allen said. “It’s a blessing and a privilege to serve this population – young people – it’s exciting. I’m just thankful that I have an opportunity to be a part of someone’s journey.”