EEVPA's West-Morton: “My passion and purpose are … teaching the students”

Lauren West Morton reviews a practice quiz in Kahoot for business management class. PHOTO BY EEVPA AT FINNEY 

Lauren West-Morton graduated from Wayne State University with a business degree, but when she realized her future was in the classroom, she went back to school in 1999 and received her teaching credentials. 

EEVPA at FINNEY: Describe your teaching style? 

WEST-MORTON: I try to meet the students where they are and it’s important of course to know the students ‘names as soon as possible. I really try to just deal with people individually. 

Why did you choose to teach business courses? 

WEST-MORTON: Before I received my teaching certificate, I used to work at an employment and training agency, and I taught people how to use a computer that were in their 40s and older that were being displaced or needed to find a job. I discovered that I really enjoyed working with computers. 

How do you feel about the teacher shortage in the nation? 

WEST-MORTON: I think it’s sad because a lot of people don’t want to be teachers anymore, but someone must teach the kids. The teacher shorter is really going to be in a deficit because a lot of people are preparing to leave the profession within the next 10 years. 

What is something about this school that gets you to come here every day? 

WEST-MORTON: My passion and purpose are here, teaching the students. And because I live in the community, I want to help the students that live here to be employable and to find successful careers. 

How do you manage to stay so calm when all the students are so loud? 

WEST-MORTON: Just try to remember that I’m the only adult in the room and that what I model, is what you know. I may become angry because of the students’ loudness, but I try to contain it. 

What is your key to having patience with the students? 

WEST-MORTON: I’m a mother of three, and I know how kids are basically, so I kind