Students make STEM projects, meet Tuskegee airmen at City Airport event

<blockquote class="text-align-left">Cody students pose for a picture at City Airport. PHOTO BY CODY CONNECTION</blockquote>
Cody students pose for a picture at City Airport. PHOTO BY CODY CONNECTION

On Oct. 3, Cody High School Students attended an event at Detroit City Airport hosted by the Tuskegee Airman. Students completed STEM activities and viewed a presentation from the Tuskegee Airmen. Cody was among three other schools chosen to participate in this field trip. 

Students arrived and were introduced to different stations where they could make their own projects. The students were able to get into a helicopter and fly drones.

Eleventh grader Brittany Wordlaw said, “This is one of the best field trips Cody High School has taken us on. We made stuff and learned about these historical pilots.” 

Before students met the Tuskegee airmen, they had to see eight other STEM activities. One of the main activities was to fly a drone inside of a loop and land it on the ground. Students made slime, a toy car, a green-powered fan, and other fun scientific projects.

Another fun activity was making a lava lamp. 

Unfortunately, Tionne Fluellen’s lava lamp busted. 

“We heard a loud boom, then I looked and saw Tionne covered in oil,” Charlotte Smith said. “He was OK, just a little embarrassed. I think they enjoyed making stuff for themselves.” 

Overall, everyone had a good time and learned a lot, thanks to the Tuskegee airmen and local pilots.