Cass Tech basketball wins 1st state championship

<p>Coach Steve Hall reflects on what it means to bring a state championship home to Cass Tech. Courtesy by CT Visionary.</p>

Coach Steve Hall reflects on what it means to bring a state championship home to Cass Tech. Courtesy by CT Visionary.

Cass Tech defeated Muskegon, 78-63, at the Michigan State University’s Breslin Center on March 25 to win the MHSAA’s Division 1 state title for the first time in school history.

In 1993, Cass advanced to play in the semifinals but lost to Detroit Pershing. The last state final appearance was in 1974 at the Jenison Fieldhouse at MSU. The Technicians lost in overtime, 60-56, to Birmingham Brother Rice, finishing as Class A runner-ups.

Nearly 50 years later, the Technicians remained undefeated in the DPSCD PSL, 21-0, and won the City Championship. They ended their season with a 28-1 record with their only loss being in the Operation Friendship game against Brother Rice.

Head coach Steven Hall, a 1988 Cass graduate, said this win not only represents a win for the team, it also represents a win for the Cass Tech nation.

“... I think that they also want … others to be able to share it with them,” said Hall. “So, it’s not like a situation where it's like … we’re better than everybody else. It’s … a situation like we as a Cass Tech family won a state championship.”

Travon Cooper II, a senior who scored 19 points in the final game, spoke to the surreal feeling of this state championship win.

“Last time we went to East Lansing was in 1974 and you know, we were having a historic season up to the point and it felt great … to finally cap it off, and get the first one for,” Cooper said. 

Cooper said he is proud he is the team.

“It was a hard fought season,” Cooper said. “I’m just proud of all of us and the way we came out with the win.

Senior Kenneth Robertson said it meant a lot because of the hard work this group of seniors put in during the last four years.

“Just knowing it was my last one … I had to go out, win or loss, and play my hardest,” said Roberston.

Hall is not only proud of the graduating seniors' basketball talents, but is also proud of their character on and off the basketball court.

“...their record over a four year period was 84 wins and 8 losses… that’s phenomenal. That's got to be… record breaking.” said Hall. “I just think… it is basically a symbol of them, you know, being coachable… and being good people and it ended up being a prize in the end for them.”

The last time Detroit claimed a Division 1 (Class A) MHSAA state basketball title was in 2015 when Western defeated Saginaw Arthur Hill, 62-59.