Cass Tech wins PSL City Championship

The Cass Tech boys basketball Team celebrates the PSL City Championship. Photo by Je’Den Morrison.

The Cass Tech boys basketball team won the DPSCD PSL City Championship on Feb. 19. Cass beat King, 74-70, in overtime  at Wayne State Fieldhouse. It was Cass’ fourth City Championship in seven years.

King was in control of the game until the last five minutes of the fourth quarter. Cass played more defensively and scored 10 points in overtime, sealing the win.

Cass Tech head coach Steven Hall said the game plan was to speed King up.

"We wanted to make sure that we kept the tempo up,” said Hall. “They liked to play more of a half court game, we like to play a full court game. So, we just wanted to get out in transition and pressure the ball."

Hall said the team was able to get into character after trailing by 17 points at a moment in the game.

“You know, we started off slow,” said Hall. “Eventually we were able to represent ourselves the right way and that felt good. The best part was the fact that we ended the game the way we wanted to”.

Cass Tech assistant coach Robert Johnson Jr. said the highlight of the game for him was senior Sean Hodges’ rebound in overtime.

“We were only up by two at the moment, after they missed the free throw Sean got in the lane and got the rebound and gave us another possession,” Johnson said.

Johnson said the team was calm during halftime.

“We told the players we have several more runs left in us,” said Johnson. “Stick to the game plan, push the ball up the floor, don’t settle for jump shots and most importantly attack the basket.”

Cass Tech sophomore Darius Acuff, the first sophomore to win the Mr. PSL award, said the last five minutes of the game "was all about heart."

“We just came together and got the job done," Acuff said.

Acuff finished the game with 27 points.

Acuff hit a 3-pointer to send the game into overtime.

“That was the biggest moment of the game for me,” said Acuff.

The Cass Tech boys basketball seniors pose with principal Lisa Philips after their win. Photo by Je’Den Morrison.