Maddox: College is not necessary to be successful

Ryann Maddox

Going to college is often stressed to high school students like this choice is necessary to be considered successful. Many college students are just there because of being forced by family members or the fear of getting judged for not going to college. 

Some seniors want to choose the route like being an entrepreneur. According to Teamstage, “The majority of entrepreneurs do not have a college degree. Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need a university or college degree to be successful in life. 31% of entrepreneurs have managed to turn their dream into reality with an associate degree alone. 30% have done it with a high school degree.”

There are many entrepreneurs who either did not attend college or dropped out of college in the midst; Mark Zuckerberg is a great example. Zuckerberg launched Facebook from his Harvard University dorm room in 2004. He dropped out of Harvard during his sophomore year to move to California to promote Facebook. Today, Facebook is one of the largest social media platforms and Zuckerburg’s Net worth is about $103 billion. That right there is enough proof that college is not necessarily the best route for everyone who wants to be successful. 

Michigan State University graduate, Kevin Nichols, a 2020 Michigan State University graduate, said he believes college is worth it. 

"I got to meet new people and experience new things," Nichols said. "As far as the debt part, loans were my only option because if family funds."

However, college debt is what many college students go through to get that extra education. Debt is sometimes an ongoing financial burden depending on how long it takes to be paid off. Personally being in debt is not worth it.