Back-2-Back State Championships

Community celebrates King's varsity football team

Coach Tyrone Spencer (pictured with the varsity football team) receives an award from Wayne County Commissioner Jonathan C. Kinloch for two back-to-back championships. Photo by Crusaders' Chronicle.

On Dec. 16, members of the community and the Crusader family celebrated the varsity football team for their back-to-back state championships. On Nov. 26, King trampled over Muskegon High School in the Division 3 battle at Ford Field. 

“The rally that was given for us for winning back to back was amazing," outside linebacker and senior Daion Johnson said. "The mayor noticing us and sending out a representative to come out and support was a great feeling that our hard work we put in, was appreciated. Also, the Detroit chief of police coming out as well was exciting to see. It’s nice that our community is proud of us."

The rally was not only for the varsity football team for winning back-to-back state championships but also for the junior varsity team for winning city back-to-back championships. Deputy Mayor Todd Bettison spoke at the rally on behalf of Mayor Mike Duggan. 

In his speech, Bettison said, “You have made us all proud! I want to thank Coach Tyrone Spencer, the staff, the athletic director, the football players, and Mr. Perry for their challenging work and dedication. Thank you for making our city proud and best wishes for another successful year.”

Head varsity football coach Spencer said he feels proud of his players for their dedication and the work it took to get the where they are now. This season the team had a disadvantage because they did not having a home field to practice on due to it being renovated.

“I am most proud of how the varsity team played all year," Spencer said. "We did not have a home field, so we practiced off site for a long time. Those guys did not make excuses and played hard and fought through the season. This says a lot about their character.”

The city was excited to have a DPSCD school back in the state championship and to be a part of what some call the high school Super Bowl. The win also gives a significant and proud name for the school and the city. The Crusaders have won six state championships, the most in Detroit.

“Playing at Ford Field, helped not only me but the team as well on how to perform at a high level in front of a big crowd,” Johnson said. 

Cutline: 

Coach Tyrone Spencer (pictured with the varsity football team) receives an award from Wayne County Commissioner Jonathan C. Kinloch for two back-to-back championships.