Cass Tech students host talent show

<p>Ms. Hicks said the live talent show "started at the top of the semester for my students in theatrical production management to learn about theatrical careers and all aspects of putting on a show." Hicks' seventh hour production students are pictured. Photo by Alauna Marable.<br>
</p>

Ms. Hicks said the live talent show "started at the top of the semester for my students in theatrical production management to learn about theatrical careers and all aspects of putting on a show." Hicks' seventh hour production students are pictured. Photo by Alauna Marable.

Cass Tech hosted its first live talent show on Dec. 2 in the Grand Theater. The performing arts students planned and executed the show under the leadership of Ms. Hicks, CT performing arts teacher.

It’s no surprise that Cass Tech is filled with talented students. What better way to showcase their gifts than by hosting a talent show for them to shine. Cass Tech’s first talent show took place last year in the black box but was only recorded with no live audience.

“This started at the top of the semester for my students in theatrical production management to learn about theatrical careers and all aspects of putting on a show,” Hicks said. “They learned the different aspects of stage and lighting then selected what they wanted to deal with.”

Aaliyah Figueroa, a student of Hicks, helped run the show and said the process was very stressful but fun at the same time.

“The highlight of the talent show was seeing how all of the people that came out enjoyed it,” said Figueroa. “It made the work and effort valuable so that you’d want to do it again.”

Tickets for the show were $5 each. The money went toward the performing arts department. Paying for after school snacks, equipment and performing arts apparel.

“I was very proud of a successful show," Hicks said. "We made 600 tickets and sold out in two days. I had other students begging for tickets so we had to sell a few more, but in total we made $3,245 in three days.”

There was a scan barcode at the end of the show so students could vote for their favorite performance. There were 15 performances with Alana Reeves being the winner. She performed a majorette dance, winning a CT talent show certificate and $50.

“The feeling of being on stage was really cool,” said Reeves. “I was worried about messing up the dance and was nervous at first until the crowd started interacting.”

Although the show was for students, teachers got to have fun too. Mr. Beverly, a teacher at Cass Tech, performed a rap he created for students about books and learning.

“My colleague, the super teacher, set it off when he came out,” said Hicks. “He came out with books and after he rapped, he pulled his mask down and started making it rain books to the audience. That to me was the best thing. He stole the show in my opinion.”