Cass Tech girls swim team wins 5th straight PSL Championship

<p>The Cass Tech swim team celebrates win after PSL Championship meet. Photo by Ja’Von Waters Jr.&nbsp;</p>

The Cass Tech swim team celebrates win after PSL Championship meet. Photo by Ja’Von Waters Jr. 

The Cass Tech girls swim team won their fifth straight PSL championship on Nov. 10 at Western International High School. 

Cass Tech head coach Kia Jones explained what it takes to win consistently. 

“The commitment the girls provide,” Jones said. “They work hard in the classroom, and they work hard in the swimming pool. They’re just demanding and determined, and as a result they’re champions.” 

Jones also said that all of the CT swim coaches contributed to the championship win. 

“It’s always amazing to win, but I don’t just win by myself,” said Jones. “The [coaching] staff does what they have to do to encourage and empower to build strong young ladies.” 

Senior Joi Childress, who has been a part of the team all four years, said the team started preparing weeks before the PSL championship meet. 

“…Throughout the season we did mostly group work, with different integrated dryland exercises,” said Childress. “…We also had morning practices every other day, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Then, like a few weeks before we started separating into groups for when we knew what we were going to swim in championships.” 

Childress said one of the reasons this year was different was that swim practice was mandatory; this year excuses were not accepted by the coaches for missing practice.

“…I just have an amazing group of young ladies and they make me extremely proud," Jones said.

There are 36 girls and four coaches on the CT swim team this year. 

Every meet follows a standard order of events. Each event consists of either one competitive stroke or all four competitive strokes: freestyle, butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke.