Obama, Whitmer host rally at Renaissance High School

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, former President Barack Obama and Deputy Gov. Garlin Gilchrist hold hands and raise their arms, to celebrate a successful campaign event. Courtesy photo.

President Barack Obama visited Renaissance High School to promote the election of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and Garlin Gilchrist II as well as other Democratic electoral candidates for the state of Michigan. 

The rally was Oct. 29 at 10 a.m. in the gym, and thousands of people lined up early that morning hear everyone’s views. 

“I really enjoyed seeing the former president and Gov. Whitmer at our school,” RHS senior Alaina Locke said. “Now I truly understand why it’s important to vote.”

Obama encouraged all Michiganders to vote in November’s election. The attendees had the opportunity to listen to everyone, and all the candidates implored the audience to not let our votes be taken for granted. 

According to Whitmer, the Republican opponent Tudor Dixon plans to take away the rights and voices of Detroit. With Whitmer’s help, we can protect the rights of all Detroiters.

“At first I didn’t understand the difference between the Democratic and Republican parties, as in what they did for this state,” Locke said. “But after coming to this rally, I really understand why it’s important for us to get out and vote.”

The rally was kept a secret for a while but once RHS Principal Verynda Stroughter received the OK, she notified the student body and encouraged everyone to come out and witness history be made. 

Additionally, the RHS band and vocal department performed during the rally and represented the school well. 

“This was a great opportunity for our school to be showcased,” Stroughter said. “I am very happy we had a wonderful event.”

This is the second time a high-level politician visited RHS. In 2020, right before the COVID-19 pandemic, President Joe Biden visited to rally support for his presidential election against former President Donald Trump. 

“It’s important for the RHS community to have these kinds of experiences,” English teacher Joielle Speed said. “While the majority of our student body are not eligible to vote in this election, they can share what they learned with their family members who are.”