Phoenix Halloween celebration continues to be a great success

Renaissance High School’s National Honor Society hosted their annual Phoenix Halloween celebration on Oct. 31.

Students from F.L.I.C.S came over that morning to enjoy face painting, tours of the school and candy giveaways.

“There were around 400 of their students from Pre-K through third grade at our school,” NHS president Caleb Boyd said.

Students from the art department painted faces and members of the NHS read stories to the students in the media center.

NHS health and wellness committee leader Sade Daniel said that some F.L.I.C.S. students got temporary tattoos and participated in a mummy relay race. She also said that students who helped could count the time toward their service hours for graduation. 

Along with the activities for the kids, there were also decorations and a healthy competition between academic departments. RHS social studies teacher Charlene Highsaw said her own department was in fact her favorite to win this year. 

“It is going to be a lively day full of lots of excitements for the little goblins from F.L.I.C.S,” Highsaw said.

RHS students could either dress up in costumes for $2 or dress down for $3.

English teacher Janice Rowley, who is the head of the National Honors Society, said she was happy the event was a success and that members of the NHS got a chance to learn about the importance of mentoring and supporting the students at F.L.I.C.S.