Halloween spirit at Mumford is eerie-sistible

<p>Junior Braylen McConer gets ready to shed his imposter costume for his last class on Oct. 31. He had to put it on 20 minutes later for Mumford’s first annual Trunk or Treat. Photo by Leiland Kirby.</p>

Junior Braylen McConer gets ready to shed his imposter costume for his last class on Oct. 31. He had to put it on 20 minutes later for Mumford’s first annual Trunk or Treat. Photo by Leiland Kirby.

On Oct. 31, Mumford was filled with witches, movie characters, superheroes, and one life-sized imposter from Among Us. At 2:40 p.m., all those characters were dismissed from class to participate in Mumford’s first ever Trunk or Treat.

Student council adviser Chanelle Taylor said she planned the event with administrative assistant Talisa Edwards.  

Art teacher Rufino Lim, dressed as a sugar skull, won the prize for best costume among the staff on Oct. 31. Lim, who doesn’t celebrate Halloween, said the sugar skull is used in the celebration of All Soul’s Day. Photo by Shyterria McQueen

“We wanted to give kids a fun little outlet at the end of the day, give them a little treat, bring some life into the building,” Taylor said.

The original plan was to have teachers set up candy stations at their cars, and for students to go trunk to trunk to collect. Unforeseen rainy and chilly weather forced the event inside and students went from teacher to teacher in the cafeteria.

Serenity Dillard said the student council has plans for fun events throughout the year. 

“Except for the last-minute changes, this activity went well, which means we’ll be able to do the other fun things we have planned,” Dillard said.

Junior Ke’Trina Tyson had a good time trunk or treating.

“The costumes I saw were good. I especially liked the blow-up dinosaur and the black ‘Among Us’ character,” Tyson said.