King administration revamps the Career Pathways program

At the start of fall 2022, the Career Pathways program returned to King. The program is designed to help students make positive career choices.

“We officially did it at the beginning of this year,” assistant principal Dennis Veal said. “This year will be the kickoff for the pathways we’ve been working on this for four years but this year we officially have full pathways.”

The Career Pathways Program consists of SportsM3 (Sports Medicine, Management, and Marketing), MSAT (Math, Science, and Applied Technology), and CISC (Computer Information, Science and Commerce).

“MSAT program that’s math, science, and applied technology for engineering and robotics,” SportsM3 lead teacher Daniel Wolford said. “There’s the CISC which is computer information, sciences, and commerce for finance, coding, and computer science. The SportsM3 is our brand-new pathway that’s sports medicine, management, and marketing so it is introducing students to the range of fields in the sports industry.”

With many students joining these classes, they may want to know more about it and how it would benefit them. Having these classes will look good on students’ resumes while introducing them to new opportunities.

“Career Pathways are a series of tracks to help introduce students to different careers and college opportunities in a range of fields,” Wolford said.

Since SportsM3 is the newest program added to the Career Pathways, it gives students exposure to different fields in the sports industry.

“I teach sports media, which is social media and sports marketing,” said Matthew Johnston, the sports media/marketing and sports journalism teacher. “It is all that wrapped up, so the business side of sports and the media side of sports using internet, television, and broadcasting.”

King’s staff will help students leave high school with a different perspective regarding various career fields.

“The goal of the pathways program is to just give students experiences at King that they wouldn’t have anywhere else to help them make decisions for their future and to set them up for success,” Wolford said.